Brewed Thoughts: Diabetes

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Diabetes


My mom has it.

I'm not entirely sure of her type level, but I do know that she's in the very early stages...meaning it can still be prevented from worsening through medication and proper diet. Her last medical check-up showed that her sugar level was indeed high, & there's really a need for her to seriously watch what she eats.


Sure, it's not that serious as to the point that she has to take insulin shots, but still...we're really bothered by it. My mom has already lost a lot of weight over the past few years, & I for one, didn't even believe she'd come to a point where it's formally announced that she is diabetic.

I'm still in a state of denial to this day.

If it were up to me, I'd really watch her like a hawk and monitor her daily food intake. I've already advised her to avoid the bad stuff, but I still can't get over the fact that she really is diabetic.

It's times like these when I wish I'm just overreacting, but the worry is eating me inside & out. Please help me pray for her recovery.

pic credits: Free Press Release

7 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear that. if your mom doesn't require shots, then she's a type-2 diabetic. my 37-year-old husband has it, too.

    but don't worry, diabetes is very manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any possibility to permanently cure a type-2 diabetic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please watch over mama. I'm worried about her.

    Could you get the list of medicine she has to take and then email them to me? Tatanungin ko yung friend ko from India kung makakakuha sya ng walang prescription. Babayaran ko na lang sya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum is also diabetic. She's taking meds pero not insulin shots yet.

    The last time I had my blood sugar checked, nasa border line na ako. That was about 3 years ago. I stopped having it checked kasi na-pa-paranoid lang ako. Iniisip ko na lang healthy ako. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bru: I'll ask her. Minsan kasi pakonti-konti bumili ng gamot kasi mahal.

    Lorna: Have yourself checked again. May HMO ka naman diba? Gamitin mo at sayang ang ibinabayad dyan. It's good to know kung ano na ang sugar level mo rather than learn in the end na mahirap na syang gamutin via meds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My uncle's also diabetic, and finances are a problem. My prayers for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Presea. Sadly, there is no way to permanently cure diabetes, but there is a way to manage it. Swerte nanay mo, type 2 siya. Family ko lahat type 1s.

    Also, try to incorporate stuff like ampalaya (yucky for most people, I know) into your diet more and more. It really helps manage the sugar levels talaga. Also, if your mum really craves sugar, try to convince her to eat more fruits as the natural sugars in them would be easier for her body to handle.

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete