Brewed Thoughts: Review: The Possibility of Us

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: The Possibility of Us

Let's kick off July with a New Adult read:  The Possibility of Us by Lisa Burstein is now available for just $.99.



About The Possibility of Us

One weekend together could change everything…
When her friend called to tell her about the funeral, Cassie wanted to say no. She had enough to handle with her own hollow existence. But she knew she should pay her respects to her old camp counselor…as long as her ex, Ben, wouldn’t be there.
Except Ben is there. Still gorgeous, still angry, and still able to penetrate her defenses with one intense stare. All the reasons they left each other in a flurry of heartache start to fall away over one long, snowy weekend.
But tough Cassie can’t truly open up to Ben when she knows confessing her secrets will leave her raw, defenseless. And the possibility of forever might not be enough to gamble on all the impossibilities of now.

Read my review after the jump.



Book Review




This is my first time to read a Lisa Burstein book and as I understand, The Possibility of Us is part of the series starting with Dear Cassie. I guess this was a disadvantage on my part as I didn't know Cassie's background. Admittedly, it was difficult to relate with Cassie having no idea where her angst came from. She was introduced to me as a teenager with too many hang-ups which indadvertedly glossed over any redeeming qualities she may have had. Her angry disposition was amped up when her best friend set her up to attend her counselor's funeral without knowing her ex would also be there.

Having read books with the same plot, I already knew how the ending would go. What I didn't like was the excruciating journey to get there. The entire story transpired over the course of the weekend, yet I felt like the story was stretched to its limits. It was like watching a tennis relay that went on forever with Cassie and Ben. Obviously the two of them still had feelings for each other and no one was willing to make the first move to get the ball rolling. I had this strong urge to shake them both just to get the scenes to pick up. 

To be honest, I didn't like Cassie. There was a certain disconnect with her character that annoyed me to no end, particularly her constant swearing. I already knew she had a foul mouth, but I didn't need to read the "f" word at EVERY page just to get the point across. It was so annoying! 

However, I did like the character of Ben's brother, Drew. His voice was more genuine and I wanted to know more about him than the main characters. I hope the author would consider writing a story about him; I think I'd enjoy that story a lot more.

My only consolation after reading this book was a profound appreciation for the author's writing skill. There were some quotable quotes from the book that I loved, and there were some moments when I really liked how she described the characters' emotions in a seemingly lyrical manner. I wish I could've said the same for her characters. 

Perhaps I would've enjoyed this story better if I read the previous books. 



ARC received courtesy of Entangled Publishing in return for an honest review.



Pick up your copy of The Possibility of Us for just $.99


Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Goodreads


About Lisa:

Lisa Burstein is a tea seller by day and a writer by night. She received her MFA in Creative Writing from the Inland Northwest Center for Writers at Eastern Washington University. She is the author of Pretty Amy, The Next Forever, Dear Cassie and Sneaking Candy. She lives in Portland, Oregon with her very patient husband, a neurotic dog and two cats.


Find Lisa Online:

No comments:

Post a Comment